[asterisk-users] Performance Issues Degradation After 6 Calls

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Dec 28 16:28:35 CST 2007

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, broadband Voice wrote:

> I am using Asterisk and A2billing Calling Card Platform and after the 6th
> call the quality starts to degrade. The way it set up is the user calls into
> the system then dial out so I have 12 channels being used up but 6 active
> calls. Here are my specs Asterisk SVN-branch-1.4-r79142 on a i686 running
> Linux Fedora 6, Pentium 4 Hyper-Threading, 64 bit, 1GB of RAM, 80 GB Sata
> Drive, bandwidth 4 Mbps (1300GB/Throughput) burstable to 100Mbps.
>
> I am planning on upgrading to Intel Core 2 Duo with a clock speed of
> 1.8GHZand 2GB Ram. Does anyone have similar situation or advice?
> Thanks.

You don't say how people are calling in+out. If it's via the Internet,
then that's where I'd start to look first. If it's via BRI/PRI interface
then I'd look at interrupt issues. I'd suggest that the hardware is more
than capable if it's set up correctly.

But since you mention bandwidth, I'll assume the calls are coming in via
that interface - each call will use 80Kb/sec each way (g711). So 5 calls
(to make the math easier) is 10 channels of 80Kb/sec each way - so it's
only 800Kb/sec each way. Well under your 4Mb limit.

However, at 50 packets per second per call (each way), it's 500 packets
per second each way - 1000 pps in total... Can your router sustain more
than that? Can your ISP deliver more than that? That's where I'd start to
look if it's not local hardware issues...

Good luck!

Gordon