[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

MatsK mkn0014 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 05:32:45 CST 2007

Anthony Francis wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:

>>> Third-party distributions are very important, and Asterisk has
>>> for various reasons done relatively badly there.
>>>
>>> Fedora still doesn't have Asterisk, but does have CallWeaver. Asterisk
>>> isn't even available in the most popular extra repositories, but only
>>> in ATrpms, my least favourite of the larger repositories.
>>>
>> It happens to be my favourite thrid party repo though, ;) and indeed
>> there is quite some asterisk support happening there.

> Asterisk is fairly easy to build, I don't see why it needs to be in a
> repo. IMO

There are several benefits to have it in a repo.
One is that it is a security issue, you don't want to have dev tools on
a exposed server.
Another is, if you have hundreds of similar machines, why compile
Asterisk 100 times when you need to compile it once and then just copy
the binaries to the other 99 machines.

So as you see it is an advantage with repo's.

Merry Christmas
Mats