[asterisk-users] Asterisk on IBM Netvista 2800 8364-EXX?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sat Dec 22 20:49:03 CST 2007

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 02:29:13 +0100, Vincent wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:40:08 -0600, "Michael Graves"
><mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
>>One of the major advantages of using voip is that call termination and
>> DIDs are wholly separate matters.  You can send outbound calls to
>> various ITSPs based on least cost routing, leaving your POTS lines free
>>  to take incomming calls. The flexibility truly is worth the small extra cost.
>
>If I find a solid DSL connection + ITSP, and I need the independence
>of moving the server around, I might well port our number to an ITSP.
>That still leaves the issue of the lack of quality of voice
>connections over the Net.  In the mean time, a regular POTS line is
>much more reliable.

This tends to be overblown. I found that the problems were entirely
within my control and not inherent in sending calls over the internet.
In fact, given the trouble I had with early FXO interfaces land lines
were less reliable.

>BTW, I finally got the IBM Netvista to boot :-) While the CF cards are
>on their way, I'd like to find an Asterisk distro that can run on a
>diskless station, so I can check whether the OpenVox TDM card works
>OK, and that voice quality is OK on such small hardware. I'll create a
>new thread on this.
>
>Still using your embedded Asterisk?
>http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24210&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=72

Yes, still using Astlinux and loving it. Looking forward to the 0.50
release that should any day now.

I'm also toying with Askozia (www.askozia.com) which combines Asterisk
and the m0n0wall GUI on FreeBSD.

Both are good choices for diskless installations. Astlinux is a little
more flexible and mature, but lacking a serious GUI. Askozia has the
GUI, but is still maturing and adding features. GUIs are like that, the
underlying technology is a full Asterisk installation, but only so much
of it is exposed for configuration via the GUI.

BTW, I highly recommend the VOIP Users Conference at
http://www.voipusersconference.org/ning/. Several of the conference
members are using Asterisk embedded systems. It's an interesting group
and the calls have been very instructional.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com