[asterisk-users] Realtime: Should I say or should I go (now) ?

Terry Wilson twilson at digium.com
Fri Dec 21 15:01:15 CST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007, at 1:29 PM, Brian Capouch wrote:

> Terry Wilson wrote:
>
>> config files, etc.  Make your SIP usernames meaningless and use
>> func_odbc to look up what extension is tied to which device.
>>

> I wouldn't say to make the names meaningless, though; there are
> different ways to use those names so that they have useful meaning.
> Just don't make them extension numbers; it's like the TCP/IP boundary
> between layers.  See SIP for an example of the problems such a thing
> can
> cause :-)

Since we were a nationwide VoIP provider and provisioned phones and
had to deal with returns, etc.  The SIP username really couldn't be
used to identify anything.  Since they were multi-line phones, etc.
the only way we could have had a "meaningful" username would be
possibly MACaddress-LineNumber or something.  But if you have a
normalized database, looking up user from SIP account becomes
trivial.  :-)