[asterisk-users] Realtime: Should I say or should I go (now) ?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Fri Dec 21 13:29:29 CST 2007

Terry Wilson wrote:

> And a free hint: if you are going to have to do anything that
> resembles number porting, swapping extensions, etc.--don't use
> extensions/phone numbers as SIP usernames.  You have to regenerate
> config files, etc.  Make your SIP usernames meaningless and use
> func_odbc to look up what extension is tied to which device.

I second that emotion.

I consult with a bunch of people who "rolled their own" Asterisk systems
long ago, and when the try to virtualize their system in various ways
they find their hands are tied.  It is indescribably confusing once the
number in sip.conf gets disengaged from the extensions in the dialplan.

I wouldn't say to make the names meaningless, though; there are
different ways to use those names so that they have useful meaning.
Just don't make them extension numbers; it's like the TCP/IP boundary
between layers.  See SIP for an example of the problems such a thing can
cause :-)

B.

believed to be clean.