[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Wed Dec 19 16:02:28 CST 2007

Since we're WAY OT anyway....

Tony Plack wrote:
> That being said, ordering in a command structure should make sense to the application (less intelligent entity), not to the "programmer" (hopefully more intelligent).

If that were true then we really should be writing our dialplans in
binary machine code, that is what that dumb computers REALLY understand.

Fortunately, it's not true. We can take advantage of a GOOD programmer's
skill to have the computer do the grunt work of converting something
real people understand into machine code. We  call the product of this
process a High-Level Programming Language.

A well-written application should attempt to minimize the amount of
'conversion' the user/programmer has to do. Therefore the command
structure SHOULD be in a form that is natural for the user/programmer,
NOT to the machine.

Personally, I would vote for "show dogs colour black" but maybe I've
spent too much time with Cisco's IOS! :-)

regards,

Drew

PS. There does seem to be an assumption that programmers are
intelligent, I'm not sure that this is a defensible position. ;-)

--
Drew Gibson

Systems Administrator
OANDA Corporation