[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Mon Dec 17 14:46:24 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 12:00 -0800, shadowym wrote:
> I do wish Digium or whoever tests this stuff had a more reliable way of
> testing software releases rather than relying on feedback from the
> community.  Fonality, for example use what they call a "hammer" which sounds
> to me like a bunch of servers running various stress tests on the software
> to try break it.

This "hammer" of which you speak is a commercial program from Empririx,
part of their Hammer line of VoIP testing products.[1]  Just to be fair
and honest, Digium has a copy of the Empirix Hammer software and uses it
to test Asterisk.  They also spend countless hours testing Asterisk in
other ways as well.  Part of the problem of testing comes from high
number of combinations of different components that must be tested.
Just testing calls between the three most common channel drivers (SIP,
IAX2, and Zap) involves nine tests at a minimum:

SIP->SIP
SIP->Zap
SIP->IAX2
IAX2->IAX2
IAX2->SIP
IAX2->Zap
Zap->Zap
Zap->SIP
Zap->IAX2

Obviously, within each of those tests, there are lots of different
options that could be tested as well (such as methods for sending
DTMF).

I've offered to start pulling together a community-driven set of tests
that we can automate and run against Asterisk on a regular basis, but so
far nobody has offered up any help in this regard, and I've been busy
with other things (like teaching Asterisk training classes) that I
haven't had any time to devote to it myself.  I'm hoping to be able to
start working on a testing framework sometime in January, as long as I
don't get too many other things put on my plate between now and then.

[1] http://www.empirix.com/products-services/voip_and_ims.asp
---
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager