[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

dave cantera david.cantera at iacnet.net
Mon Dec 17 08:56:20 CST 2007

phil,
I think you are on to it... the best path is to load a new system up
with 1.4.x and port your existing dialplan over, test it out, lock it
down and then roll it out...

I've worked as a UNIX system integrator for 20+ years, worked with open
source and custom developed C/C++ code, Ada, and a slew of developers
(150 developers at two gov't projects).    on new projects, developers
don't usually provide enough info in the first releases to even install
the product.  you always have a gotcha.  upgrades are better by far but
still lack those things that developers take for granted.  developers
conceived the idea and they have been talking about them for months...
to the integrators, the release is new and that is when the difficulty
arises.  as an integrator, we are charged with making the product stable
in the target environment whereas developers are charged with making the
product stable in their development environment...  it is two different
scenarios.

when an integrator sets up a test/QA environment, things that the
developers never invisioned come to light.  then it is a find, fix,
retest cycle until all is well.  it is time consuming but well worth the
effort as your support/help desk calls are greatly reduced...  so now
that I am talking about this, perhaps I should offer a
migration/integration/test lab service :)...  since I've been through it
a hundred times...
daveC