[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Tony Plack Tony at plack.net
Mon Dec 17 08:26:32 CST 2007

> - Not enough reasons to upgrade, since 1.2 really works well - Just
> a bad karma for 1.4

Funny, but my results have been different.  I was running on 1.2.17 (and on to 22) for a year and had all sorts of lockups.  For me, when I switched to 1.4.5 these things went away.

I did find some bugs and switched to branch/1.4 in SVN.  While some have considered this bleeding edge, I figure since there is no NEW code development, these are all bug fixes.  So far, I have yet to find something that broke since I polled SVN every week.  I do review the changes and implement as needed.  I have yet to have a major problem with the server that was not caused because of my config.

Our site might be small in number of connections in real time, but it is much more stable since 1.4

I think if you polled the 1.2 community, not everyone is running 1.2.25.  I think that the bugs you know are the bugs you love.  I don't know if it is just 1.4 but I think that anything past version 1.2.X is considered dangerous.  I also wonder if because 1.2 had such success, that there are many who use this code who are not programmers and have trouble diagnosing Open Source bugs.  Not that they need to be, but if that were me, it would change my opinion of the code and the support given if I didn't know how to debug a C program.  Just some thoughts.

Thanks to the team for their hard work on 1.4.  My experience with 1.4 makes me hunger for 1.6 a short time after release.