[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Leonardo Gomes Figueira sabbathbh.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:02:48 CST 2007

Johansson Olle E wrote:
> Friends in the Asterisk community,
>
> I'm kind of interested in the slow uptake of Asterisk 1.4. Between 1.2
> and 1.4 there's been a lot of
> important development. New code cleanups, optimization, new functions.

For Asterisk users in countries that use the MFC/R2 protocol on E1
channels, it took a couple of months so we could start testing/using 1.4
because the lack of "official" support for MFC/R2.

But thanks to some users/developers the UniCall channel driver was
ported to 1.4 and there are many using it now with Digium cards.

Today, there are E1 cards available that have native MFC/R2 support from
some companies like DigiVoice (http://www.digivoice.com.br/english.php)
  , so many users are simply avoiding Digium cards/UniCall and buying
this cards. We hope that when 1.6 comes up the company that make the
card and maintains the channel driver update it quickly so their users
can upgrade faster.

So, it's not a problem with 1.4 at all, sometimes the reason is that
users just depend on external code.

  Leonardo