[asterisk-users] [Zaptel] Why no port to Windos?

Steve Thomas lists at sthomas.net
Sat Dec 15 16:10:39 CST 2007

> For this market,
> people don't want anything complicated. I would imagine the software
> equivalent of a run-of-the-mill answering machine.

Which has existed, in one form or another, for years. I was using a
voice enabled faxmodem a decade ago to answer my phone. The software
that came with it (don't remember the name, but WinFax also does/did
this) even allowed for a simple IVR, for mailbox selection and whatnot.
The only things it didn't do that asterisk does (and would be useful to
the average Joe) was support multiple phones/extensions and send
voicemail messages via email.

I just don't see the consumer market opening up enough to make it worth
the expense and hassle of writing/supporting Windows drivers. Digium is
great at what they do - I wouldn't want them changing what they're doing
now if it could impact the quality of their core products/drivers.

St-