[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Dec 15 13:44:53 CST 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 06:11:47PM -0000, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> > > I wonder if there are any major obstacles for upgrading.
>
> From our perspective I'd have to say package management.
>
> We manage a *lot* of asterisk boxes at client locations at the end of DSL connections. We have a schedule to make sure each box is updated once a month (e.g. "these 10 boxes are updated in week 1 by Marcus, then in week 5 by Tom, etc."). If we can login and run a couple of simple commands to bring everything up to date, that saves us many hours every month.
>
> For better or worse, we generally use Gentoo Linux on our servers. With one command (emerge -DuavN world) I can bring a box completely up to date.
>
> Asterisk 1.2's portage packages are generally stable and fairly up-to-date. So, doing a portage update automatically upgrades asterisk, zaptel, libpri, speex and any other relevant packages at the same time as updating other core system libraries.

Actually, it isn't that up-to-date.

> Installing 1.4 is a pain. The individual installers for each relevant package have to be grabbed from Digium (or a mirror), then saved somewhere, then untarred, then ./configure'd, then made, then installed. And in a month's time if something's been updated, the procedure has to be repeated. It changes updating a server from a 5 minute operation into an hour or so.
>
> Yeah, part of it's laziness, but it's more about efficient use of employee time. If 1.2 does what the client needs and 1.4 would require many times the admin time, it isn't happening.

How about you coming up with an 1.4 package?

I'm willing to help anybody with zaptel 1.4 and a bit with Asterisk.
Packages should be integrated with the distribution, or else they break
the upgrade.

If there are enough users, one of them should be able to do that. If
there aren't enough users, well, I'm not sure who will bother...

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com