[asterisk-users] [Zaptel] Why no port to Windos?

Vincent vincent.delporte at bigfoot.com
Sat Dec 15 00:04:08 CST 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:34:04 -0600, "Michael Graves"
<mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
>Yes, the market is potentially huge...for a packaged solution.

If all it takes in plugging the PCi card in their PC, and running
setup.exe, it's no worse than installing a printer. I would imagine
that the standard install has them go through a quick wizard to
customize the welcome message to the IVR, and they're in business.

>There is such thing a minimum critical mass in pricing. That is, you
>have to provide support which has a cost.

Support is a function of 1) the quality of the product, and 2) the
technical level required to install and run it. For this market,
people don't want anything complicated. I would imagine the software
equivalent of a run-of-the-mill answering machine.

>Is there any way to reduce the amount of support required? Not with
>Asterisk/Zaptel in their present form.

AsteriskWin32 isn't really updated, so I guess either no entrepreneur
thinks there's a market for a small, Windows-based PBX, or Asterisk is
just too *nix-centric to run reliably on Windows.

But then, there are PBX apps for Windows, so it's too bad no device
driver is available for PCI cards:
- Axon
- Brekeke (Java, yuck)
- Freeswitch (when they get around to actually compile and add it to
the site...)
- 3CX
- Yate
- miniSipServer