[asterisk-users] [Zaptel] Why no port to Windos?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Dec 13 21:56:14 CST 2007

Doug wrote:
> At 19:55 12/13/2007, Vincent wrote:
>  >Hello
>  >
>  >I was wondering why there doesn't seem to a Windows version of Zaptel,
>  >making the Digium and its clones unavailable for a Windows PBX.
>  >
>  >Is the Zaptel/Zapata combo too *nix-centric?
>  >
>  >Thanks.
>
> Windows is a half-baked, dying OS that in essence is
> a 32 bit extension and graphical shell, for a 16 bit
> patch to an 8 bit operating system, originally coded
> for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit
> company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
>
> Do you really want to reboot your telephone system
> 3 times a day?

And yet...  the next time you turn on CNN and see Tomahawk missiles
coming out of the vertical launch tubes of an Aegis class DDG (guided
missile destroyer)... well, keep in mind that the Fire Control System is
running a stripped down NT4 kernel.

(It might be NT5 or 6 by now...  my information is a little old on this
particular subject.  Then again, knowing how DoD certification works, it
might not have budged at all.)