[asterisk-users] Asterisk on IBM Netvista 2800 8364-EXX?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Tue Dec 11 20:34:50 CST 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 02:48:31 +0100, Vincent wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:24:52 -0600, "Michael Graves"
><mgraves at mstvp.com> wrote:
>>There's no reason why that could not work for you. With a 266 MHz CPU
>>you have a platform roughly comparable to a Soekris Net4801. That means
>>limited transcoding.
>
>Thanks for the tip on the HP T5700. There's one for sale on eBay in
>the US, along with a PCI extension.
>
>I'm interested in listing the options to build a compact Asterisk
>server just to handle a couple of FXO ports. Mini-ITX are a bit pricey
>at about E500 over here, so I'm curious about the alternatives (with
>the PCI imperative, as I prefer not to rely on a VoIP provider for
>incoming calls).

I started out with a old P3-800 and three X101p cards.

Next I moved to a mini-ITX system based on a Via C500. That system was
from Logic Supply and cost me around $600 USD with no HD. It has 2 PCI
slots but I was so fed up with the X101p's that I bought an early
TDM400p with 3 FXOs.

Then I migrated to a Soekris Net4801 and dropped that FXOs completely.
I must say that for me that was a good decision. For about 6 months I
call forwarded my numbers to DID provided by an ITSP. I actually tried
several ITSPs over a period of months. When one stood out a really very
good I ported the numbers.

Most recently I wanted to use G729 to conserve some bandwidth. Thus I
switched to the T5700. It also helped that a friend at a large company
was about to pay Dell to recycle a dozen of them. I ended up with 6
gratis. The 1 GHz CPU has managed 4 calls using G729 whereas the
Net4801, with its 266 MHz CPU could only handle two...barely.

Michael

--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com