[asterisk-users] Asterisk on IBM Netvista 2800 8364-EXX?

Vincent vincent.delporte at bigfoot.com
Tue Dec 11 11:51:44 CST 2007

Hello

	I'm looking at my options to build a compact, silent, headless
Asterisk server to handle one or two FXO ports. Out of curiosity, I
got one of those babies on eBay for 20E:

http://silicon-verl.de/home/flo/software/netstation-8364/

Before I spend time on this, can someone tell me if...

1. it's easy to install Linux on those things (am willing to add a
CF-to-IDE adapter to use a hard-disk instead of tweaking Linux so that
it doesn't write too many cycles to the CF card), and

2. whether it has enough horsepower to use a PCI TDM card (The OpenVox
A400P01 clone of Digium) to handle incoming PSTN calls, and possibly a
couple of conference calls with MeetMe?

BTW, am I correct in understanding that the difference between TDM
cards and the X100/X101 cards is the same as between controller-based
modems and win/softmodems: The former is self-sufficient since it has
a CPU, while the latter is cheaper because it outsources signal
processing to the computer's CPU?

Thank you.