[asterisk-users] Perspective on Asterisk

Steve Org steveorg at inbox.com
Fri Dec 7 08:40:28 CST 2007

I’ve put out a project to bid that involves telephony and SMS. These technologies are not in my comfort zone so I’m trying to understand the landscape a little better. Several of the bidders plan to use Asterisk for the backend. From what I understand so far, that would apply to the telephony piece. I pasted the requirements at the end of this email. I’d appreciate any insight as to where Asterisk is applicable. Also, I’d appreciate any thoughts on implementing on Amazon EC2. While not the purpose of this post, if anyone is interested in bidding, please provide contact info.

Thanks,
Steve

The purpose is to give users the ability to set off a series of communications as follows:

1.	Actions that can set-off a notification
1.1.	Web form
1.2.	Incoming SMS message
1.3.	Incoming telephone call with keyed-in and/or IVR data
1.4.	Incoming email

2.	Content of the outgoing notification
2.1.	Name of account owner (from database)
2.2.	Call back number (from incoming message)
2.3.	Voice message or digital content of the communication
2.4.	Time and date

3.	Means of delivery of notification – one or more of:
3.1.	Email
3.1.1.	If source is a voice message, convert the message to a wav file.
3.2.	Telephone automated message
3.3.	SMS
3.3.1.	 If the source is a voice message, provide a means to listen to the message (method to be determined)

4.	Message routing
4.1.	Incoming message will contain a user id.
4.2.	Each ID can have one or more contact records associated with it.
4.2.1.	If more than one, the database will have contact priority options and messages will be routed to contact records as per the priorities selected.
4.2.2.	Next priority will be activated with each subsequent request within a limited period (ie within two hours)
4.2.3.	Next priority will be activated if the system is unable to successfully send a message.
4.2.4.	One priority option will be to contact all records simultaneously.
4.3.	Each contact record will have one or more contact destinations.
4.3.1.	The destinations can be email, SMS or phone
4.3.1.1.	Whenever a contact record is chosen, all contact destinations for that record will be used simultaneously.

5.	Log
5.1.	Every action will create a log entry.
5.2.	Incoming requests will create a record.
5.3.	Each destination (ie phone number, SMS) attempt will create a record.
5.4.	Failures will create a record.
5.5.	Portions of the log details will be sent to the message source after specified periods (ie 5 min, 1 hr, 2 hrs.)