[asterisk-users] Underground Asterisk Command Set?

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Mon Dec 3 08:01:00 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 09:19 +0000, Jeng Yu wrote:
> Is there an underground asterisk command reference
> manual that the Gurus here share amongst themselves
> only? :-)
>
> The reason I ask is that sometimes I see mention of an
> asterisk command and I scramble for my asterisk book
> (pdf) to look it up but can't find it in there. For
> example, I saw here last week people talking about the
> Set() application with the "If" conditional attached
> to it.  How do we (us rookies) join this underground?

No, we're all pretty open about what's in Asterisk.  There are two
places I'd suggest you look.  The first is at the Asterisk command-line
interface itself.  Type "core show functions" and "core show
applications" for a list of built-in functions and applications,
respectively.  You can also type something like "core show function
IF" (note that functions *must* be upper-case) or "core show application
Set" for more detailed information on a particular function or
application.

The second place I'd suggest you look is at the new and improved second
edition of Asterisk: The Future of Telephony.  (Yes, I'm one of the
authors.)  You can download it for free from
http://openbooks.oreilly.com/ or buy a copy in dead-tree format from
your favorite bookseller.  The book has a reference for all of the
dialplan functions and applications for Asterisk 1.4.

--
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager