[asterisk-users] understanding queues

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Wed Aug 29 12:01:54 CDT 2007

Elliot Finley wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I feel like I understand how the dial plan works pretty well with one
> exception.  It seems like queues are using the stdexen macro to ring
> the agents/extensions.  Is this normal?  Is there anyway to configure
> this differently?

Hi Elliot,

The queue will use the dial method in the current (or default) context.
If you want a different dial method for the queue, put the queue in a
new context along with the code for the new dial method.

For example, assuming call centre phones are on extensions 100 through
199 ...

[office]

... regular office dialplan here ...

;  Call any extension
exten => _XXX,1,Macro(stdexten,${EXT_${EXTEN}})

[call-centre]

...IVR, etc here ....

;  Only call call centre extensions
exten => _1XX,1,macro(ccexten,${EXT_${EXTEN}})

[macro-stdexten]

... handle dialing this way ....

[macro-ccexten]

... handle dialing that way ...