[asterisk-users] which OS would be fine for asterisk

Atis atis at BEST.eu.org
Mon Aug 27 11:48:49 CDT 2007

On 8/27/07, Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com> wrote:
 Personally, I use CentOS (when I don't care about support) or RHEL (when
> support is important to me) as my preferred server distribution, simply
> because they guarantee to have *years* worth (at least five years!) of
> security updates, even if I choose not to upgrade to the latest
> distribution.  (Debian has a similar policy, although I'm not sure the
> exact length of time.)

Debian usually provides regular updates until next major release
release, and security updates within year after next major release.
Plus a really good thing is that major releases come out with interval
of 2 til 5 years - so they are much better tested than all the other
distributions (with release cycle of half year). Also upgrade to next
version is usually painless (i have seen some troubles with Debian's
fork project  - Ubuntu). So, if you are into long-term stability and
regular updates - Debian have it.

However for desktop i prefer Gentoo. It also have very good policy
about updates - you don't have to worry much about them when you find
right tools. But i don't want my servers to be busy with regular
compiling - so servers are Debian.

Regards,
Atis

--