[asterisk-users] Gizmo revisited

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 22:24:30 CDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Carlos Leal <cleal at corpmail.net> wrote:
> Launched the OS X version of Gizmo after about a year of inactivity,
> downloaded the update and discovered the new improved Giszmo features
> Asterisk interoperability by allowing a secondary SIP account to be
> registered simultaneously.
>
> It also allows you to make the routing choice for outgoing calls;
> your own server or via Gizmo. So far, this is the best SIP softphone
> I've come across for OS X.
>
> It comes in other flavors and I thought I'd mention it as it can be
> free and I haven't seen it mentioned recently.

Yes, I agree, this is a darn good free SIP client with a few features
such as recording, playing WAV files (good for podcasting, or if you
want to irritate people you call with laugh tracks or something).
I don't find it better than X-Lite, but about the same. If I had to
choose one client, it would probably be Zoiper, because it does SIP
and IAX well (or at least I've had good results with it). Zoiper also
has a very small footprint on the GUI.

/r