[asterisk-users] Gizmo revisited

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Sat Aug 25 14:03:42 CDT 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:05:44PM -0500, Carlos Leal wrote:
>
>> Launched the OS X version of Gizmo after about a year of inactivity,
>> downloaded the update and discovered the new improved Giszmo features
>> Asterisk interoperability by allowing a secondary SIP account to be
>> registered simultaneously.
>>
>> It also allows you to make the routing choice for outgoing calls;
>> your own server or via Gizmo. So far, this is the best SIP softphone
>> I've come across for OS X.
>>
>> It comes in other flavors and I thought I'd mention it as it can be
>> free and I haven't seen it mentioned recently.
>>

> Can it be used with any service which is not sipphone.com?
>
> (The phone itself is based on xten's phone, IIRC, and is thus certinly
> non-free)

I don't believe the current GP phone is based on anything from
Counterpath/X-ten. When they originally launched SIPphone, they licensed
the X-Pro phone from X-ten, but the Gizmo Project softphone has always
been a completely different beast.

Later versions include the ability to sign up for one other service
provider AS WELL AS Gizmo Project/SIPphone, however I don't believe you
can ONLY use it through another provider, and GP does some odd things
with the Contact header that are... nonstandard.  When REGISTERING with
another provider, it uses a Contact header with a GP username/ip,
requiring that all calls be initially routed back through GP's servers.
They say this is for logging purposes, but it certainly makes for an
ugly data path.

We actually had to reconfigure our servers just to allow for the GP
users who would occasionally register directly.

N.