[asterisk-users] Stable-Stable Asterisk

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:02:14 CDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 04:00:23PM -0400, Matt Florell wrote:
> > With all of that said, I do have a testing setup that allows me to run
> > tests at high loads on Asterisk, but not all scenarios can be checked
> > in a testing setup. I ran a mid-volume test on 1.4.10 and it worked
> > without crashing. I wanted to test a new feature in 1.4 so I put the
> > server into production. It worked fine for a few hours under small
> > load, but once the load increased there were several issues(mostly
> > relating to stuck locks I am guessing) and the server would crash
> > every few hours and also have some weird Manager API issues. So after
> > a few days I rolled the server back to 1.2.X and all was well again.
> > Running the tests again later at a higher call volume and on servers
> > with more horsepower revealed the same crashes and other issues as I
> > noticed in production.
>
> Here's a secondary question (and Matt, I *do* plan to get around the
> damned corner to one of your meetups one of these days :-):
>
> Just how easy is it to roll back to the older release when the feces
> hit the fan?  Seems like making that simple would be pretty important?
> (Context: my boss is about to tip on playing with Asterisk, finally..)
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

It's really just a matter of recompiling Asterisk. Libpri-1.4 and
zaptel-1.4 seem to work fine with Asterisk 1.2 as well so in a pinch
you may not have to recompile those. Most 1.2 dialplans will work just
fine with 1.4, so as long as you delete the modules between builds:
rm -f /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/*

You should be fine.

MATT---