[asterisk-users] Stable-Stable Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Fri Aug 24 06:33:21 CDT 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 07:16:57PM -0400, Lee Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Steve Totaro wrote:

> What version of Asterisk is "current ABE" (something that would get
> installed on a new system with no relation to other systems) based on?
>

>>> I stay with 1.2.12 or somewhere around there.  "End Of Life" but seems
>>> to have a better ticker than 1.4.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve
>>>

>> 1.2.12/14/17 all have seemed very stable to me so far.
>>

> Both of which are anecdotial evidences.
>
> Now suppose I had a major stability issue with 1.2.14 which was solved
> with 1.2.18 (or 1.4.1). I would simply be dropped off that tatistics.
> You'l be just left with those for which "1.2 works better".

You lost me with that last statement....

All I know is that dropping 200 calls is bad and it happens less with
certain versions.

The tatistics or "statistics" are determined in my mind by the number of
higher ups frantically calling and barging in demanding "WHAT HAPPENED,
AND HOW CAN WE PREVENT THIS FROM EVER HAPPENING AGAIN?".  "THIS WAS
NEVER HAPPENED WITH OUR (INSERT ANY SWITCH HERE), WE JUST LOST $26,000,
ASTERISK SUCKS!"

Of course it OCCASIONALLY happened with the old switch, and it took half
an hour to an hour to reboot that switch.

"The proof is the pudding" as they say.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro