[asterisk-users] phone as control interface (was 99 bottles of beer)

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:15:00 CDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Steve Prior <sprior at geekster.com> wrote:

> Steve Edwards wrote:
>
> > Almost every room in my house has a phone -- if I could teach my kids to
> > put them back where they belong.
> >
> > This could easily be extended to recognize which phone was used so it
> > could control the Myth FE in that room.
> >
> > Also, it could/should be extended to control x10 devices as well...
> >
> > "To control the tv in this room, press 1. To control a tv in another
> room,
> > press 2. To control the outside lights, press 3. To control the
> > sprinklers, press 4, ..."
>
> A while back I was thinking along the lines of using a phone as a
> home automation interface, though I was thinking of it in combination
> with a voice recognitition system such as Lumenvox.  It occured to
> me that when you want to turn the lights on, you don't really want to
> pick up a phone, dial a special extension, and then start using menus.
>
> What I was thinking about was what if instead of a dialtone you are
> brought directly to a home automation voice menu which works in
> parallel with your normal dial plan.  If you wanted to make a call,
> just ignore the voice menu and dial normally.  If you wanted to
> turn on the lights, just say "lights on." or somesuch.  Having a
> traditional dialtone seems unnecessary when you can get more function
> instead.
>
> The trick is doing this without giving up on the use of nice existing
> GUIs to manage the dialplan that we have now.  I'd like some way of
> merging in the "voice dialtone" function with the existing dialplan
> such that initially both are active, but as soon as either a phrase is
> recognized or a button is pressed the system branches to one or the other,
> but that button or phrase is passed through to the rest of the processing
> and not just an extra prompt getting in the way.
>
> Does this spark anyone's imagination or ideas to implement?

Sparks my imagination thusly:

Suppose you have a speaker phone in every room. When the phone is "onhook,"
Asterisk automatically opens up a call to the speaker and places it in the
automation context. When you pick up the phone, it grabs a different line,
and drops the automation connection.

Now, you can address Asterisk by saying, "Computer, raise lights 20%" and
impress all of your trekkie friends when the lights turn up.