[asterisk-users] phone as control interface (was 99 bottles of beer)

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Tue Aug 21 14:00:30 CDT 2007

Quoting Steve Prior <sprior at geekster.com>:

shutting off the dialtone should be pretty simple, then what is really
needed is an audio "Bidirectional Tee" almost like a 3 way call, well
I guess exactly like a 3 way call but not dialed.

you have the dsp that is going to process audio on the channel,
yourself, and a listener/talker interface that listens for voice,
recognizes it and then converts to touchtones and dials them into the
dsp (possibly muting audio to you while its doing that.) this would
allow the conventional dialplan logic to support menus etc for the
control.

maybe something like answer immediate, bridge 3 way call to an
extension context that expects dialing along with an extension that
does voice recognition in a 3 way call. Either one acts on what it
gets and both hang up when you do.

just don't call a real person and start talking about turning lights
on and off :)

> Steve Edwards wrote:
>
>> Almost every room in my house has a phone -- if I could teach my kids to
>> put them back where they belong.
>>
>> This could easily be extended to recognize which phone was used so it
>> could control the Myth FE in that room.
>>
>> Also, it could/should be extended to control x10 devices as well...
>>
>> "To control the tv in this room, press 1. To control a tv in another room,
>> press 2. To control the outside lights, press 3. To control the
>> sprinklers, press 4, ..."
>
> A while back I was thinking along the lines of using a phone as a
> home automation interface, though I was thinking of it in combination
> with a voice recognitition system such as Lumenvox.  It occured to
> me that when you want to turn the lights on, you don't really want to
> pick up a phone, dial a special extension, and then start using menus.
>
> What I was thinking about was what if instead of a dialtone you are
> brought directly to a home automation voice menu which works in
> parallel with your normal dial plan.  If you wanted to make a call,
> just ignore the voice menu and dial normally.  If you wanted to
> turn on the lights, just say "lights on." or somesuch.  Having a
> traditional dialtone seems unnecessary when you can get more function
> instead.
>
> The trick is doing this without giving up on the use of nice existing
> GUIs to manage the dialplan that we have now.  I'd like some way of
> merging in the "voice dialtone" function with the existing dialplan
> such that initially both are active, but as soon as either a phrase is
> recognized or a button is pressed the system branches to one or the other,
> but that button or phrase is passed through to the rest of the processing
> and not just an extra prompt getting in the way.
>
> Does this spark anyone's imagination or ideas to implement?
>
> Steve

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com