[asterisk-users] Quick DUNDi Poll Questions, For All Asterisk, Users, Please Give Feedback

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Aug 20 01:50:33 CDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 09:00:33PM -0400, Matthew Brothers wrote:
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1. Is the wiki DUNDi example and the dundi.conf file too difficult to
> > follow for new users?
> >

> I wouldn't exactly say that it is too difficult but that the target
> audience for the default examples is not the average person/entity
> that could make use of the power inherent with DUNDi.  When an
> average * user/admin wants to use DUNDi they will want to start out
> small and local rather than worry about all of the intricacies of
> the e164 standard.  It is much easier, in my opinion, to learn the
> power of DUNDi on a simple level and scale that up to a more
> globally connected platform.

I'd say that duni.conf is a reference, and you expect it to be an
introductory document. A reference should be comprehensive. It is best
used after you've grasped the basic concepts, and together with a text
search. Asterisk's "sample" configuration files actually serve a role
of a reference.

If you were to look for an introduction-level document in the asterisk
source, you should have started in the /doc directory.

Sadly the documentation there is close to non-existing at the moment:
http://www.asterisk.org/doxygen/1.4/AstDUNDi.html

How did I find that page? I went to the doxygen-generated documentation
for 1.4:

  http://www.asterisk.org/doxygen/1.4/

In there, one non-trivial jump to the rest of the interesting
documentation:

  Related Pages

And there I can find some pretty handy documentation. If you have
anything more to comment on that, I guess the place for that is either
the (practically dead) asterisk-doc mailing list, or looking at some of
the work done on the admin guide for 1.6 .

(yeah, I know, patches are welcome, docs talk, whatever)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com