[asterisk-users] 2 asterisk servers, how to connect them together?

Ade Vickers javickers at solutionengineers.com
Sat Aug 18 17:46:45 CDT 2007

Hi...

I have what is, I am sure, a relatively common & straightforward problem
(no, NOT that kind of problem!)... I'm trying to hook two asterisk servers
together so I can make a "distributed" PBX.

Here's the scenario:

[MASTER] is in the office. It has unrestricted access to the internet, and a
fixed IP address. It has 3 SIP hardphones configured & working, plus a
couple of softphones which log in/out as necessary. The phones are on
extensions 5100-5104, with a special extension 5999 which just plays music.

[HOME] is at home. It has internet access only through a Microsoft ISA 2003
firewall, and has a dynamic IP address. It has 1 SIP hardphone configured,
and working, on extension 5110. I can add a second hardphone to verify that
this (new build) server is working OK, but all of the messages indicate it's
fine.

What I want to do, obviously, is have ALL of the extensions (5XXX)
"pretending" to be on the same PBX. i.e. if I dial 5100 (on [MASTER]) from
5110 (on [HOME]), the call goes through & everyone's happy; and vice versa,
calling 5110 from 5100.

I know I need to use IAX to achieve this (as IAX can negotiate its way past
the firewall), but I can't find the magic incantations for IAX.CONF (on
either server) to make them talk nicely to each other. They did, very
briefly, as the [MASTER] server spotted the IP address of [HOME], added it
to the peer list, & my heart rose; but, now it's dead again. Rather than
post my broken conf files here, can anyone suggest a nice'n'easy way to get
this to work?

Many thanks in advance.
Ade.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.