[asterisk-users] RAW asterisk!

Mike Clark mike at infoanywhere.com
Thu Aug 16 14:45:10 CDT 2007

Bill Andersen wrote:
> I'm a network admin that maintains 3 commercial Asterisk
> servers for my employer.
>
> I am wanting to move away from the "pre-packaged" commercial PBXs
> to a more "pure" asterisk setup.  The systems I have utilize a nice
> web GUI to make changes, but it really limits what I can do beyond
> what they have programmed into their GUI.
>
> Would I be better off starting with:
>
> a) Plain old asterisk from asterisk.org?
>   (tutorial suggestions?)
>
> b) AsteriskNow
>
> c) Trixbox (not Pro)
>
> d) other suggestions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill

And the answer is, A. B & C will give you pretty much the same scenario
you have now. The big benefit of learning "plain old" Asterisk is
definitely the ability to do whatever you want or need. You will find
that once you know Asterisk well, you can use a pre-packaged solution
for what it does well, and usually be able to do custom dialplan work in
conjunction and get the best of both worlds.

Mike Clark