[asterisk-users] Dundi x ENUM

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Wed Aug 15 06:59:25 CDT 2007

On 08:33, Wed 15 Aug 07, Ronaldo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just being wondering if Dundi has the same purpose as ENUM.  I
> don't know much (actually almost nothing) about these technologies. As
> far as I know they are a kind of DNS resolver used in the VoIP context.
> For example, user ronaldo at doamin.com has the extension namber 1001. This
> way nobody has to know the ronaldo's extension number.
> I'll appreciate if someone can clear my understanding about that?

The two are totally different.
Dundi is used to provide callrouting information between
asterisk boxen. For more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUNDI

Enum is a way to not having to remember all my phone
numbers, email addresses, IM accounts etc.
Basically you get e phonenumber, and a special DNS record
maps that phonenumber to more contact information.
More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENUM

--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu