[asterisk-users] FW: The trixbox Revolution Continues! Sign up forthe Webinar.

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Mon Aug 13 17:18:51 CDT 2007

> Not sure what all the licensing in TrixBox is but if they "dump the
> "open"", can't we always just fork. I have not played with TrixBox in
> some time but most of it was just a bunch of separate, valuable
projects
> meshed together. I don't really see how they can "close" that.

Yes!  That's one of the redeeming qualities of the GPL.  They *can't*
close GPL code and still redistribute it.

Also, you are correct in the assessment that TB is essentially a bunch
of "separate, valuable projects meshed together."  The value of TB, in
my personal experience, is that it was way easy to get Asterisk going
with lots of bells and whistles.  I still use TB; I simply clean up the
dial plan and a few other files.  TB does a fantastic job of 'getting it
all to work properly' right out of the box.  If you need all of the
bells and whistles, and if you don't want to get your hands dirty
learning the ins and outs of all of the add-ons, then TB is a fantastic
Asterisk package for you.

In the end, if TB/Fonality tries to close things up I'm sure that there
will be enthusiastic community members who will pick up the FOSS torch
and carry on with a similar project.

-MC