[asterisk-users] Sort of OT: PBX vs CO

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Fri Aug 10 13:30:38 CDT 2007

Just one question, why would the Asterisk be involved in the voice path
at all ?
I would assume a media gateway (TNT ?) would be the obvious choice to
provide trunking side. And, for line side another gateway (not so sure
would be as often seen), but in this case a Line side gateway, and
again, * would not need to be in the voice path.
I know that TNTs with DS3 cards have been used by persons in this
mailing list, and I assume that some vendor of Line gateways
(mediatrix/someothers  for low density, I guess some
genband/calix/occam/whatever for higher density) would not have problems
getting their gear to work with Asterisk.
The missing piece would be the SS7, that I understand others have used
with * also here...so...
(regarding VOIP not being an option, I have to wonder, for how long :-)..

NGN vendors don't use a TDM switching fabric (example, Nortel CS2Kc has
no 'ENET' or anything like that), why would Asterisk need one ..