[asterisk-users] sip ... codec conversion matrix

Cesc Santa cesc.santa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 09:26:05 CDT 2007

inline ...

On 8/10/07, Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Cesc Santa wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have asterisk 1.2.18.
>
> Installed from binary or compiled by yourself?

I compiled it myself ...

> I just took a peak at the command: > show translation
> > and I saw that I can only convert from/to ulaw, ulaw, gsm and slin.
> > No speex, no ilbc ... do I need a license or compile something extra?
> > The G723, 726 and 729 ... I need a license, is that it? one for all of
> them?
> > or for each?
> >
> > How do I get them to work? not just pass-through ... I need conversion.
>
> Speex and ilibc will be compiled into asterisk automatically. It is on my
> systems (Debian)

I can use them ... but cannot do translation ... only "pass-through" ... it
complains that
there is no function to convert to internal codec (pcm?)

G726 should also be compiled in as standard - it's supplied with asterisk.

no license to use it needed?

These may not be "free" enough for your Linux distribution, so that might
> be why you don't have them if you're running a binary installation. Eg.
> iLbc isn't "free" enough for standard Debian.

well, i use debian, but not the asterisk binary distro ... i compiled myself
from 1.2.18 sources

G723 and G729 are patent encumbered and so you need licenses to run the
> software. You can get G729 licenses from Digium, but I don't know about
> G723...

ok ... i will contact digium for g729 license ... anyone knows about g723?

So maybe you need to compile your own rather than run a binary version?

I did :(   ;)

Thanks!

Gordon