[asterisk-users] sip ... codec conversion matrix

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Aug 10 06:49:16 CDT 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Cesc Santa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have asterisk 1.2.18.

Installed from binary or compiled by yourself?

> I just took a peak at the command: > show translation
> and I saw that I can only convert from/to ulaw, ulaw, gsm and slin.
> No speex, no ilbc ... do I need a license or compile something extra?
> The G723, 726 and 729 ... I need a license, is that it? one for all of them?
> or for each?
>
> How do I get them to work? not just pass-through ... I need conversion.

Speex and ilibc will be compiled into asterisk automatically. It is on my
systems (Debian)

G726 should also be compiled in as standard - it's supplied with asterisk.

These may not be "free" enough for your Linux distribution, so that might
be why you don't have them if you're running a binary installation. Eg.
iLbc isn't "free" enough for standard Debian.

G723 and G729 are patent encumbered and so you need licenses to run the
software. You can get G729 licenses from Digium, but I don't know about
G723...

So maybe you need to compile your own rather than run a binary version?

Gordon