[asterisk-users] Major Digium Card Problems

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Thu Aug 9 20:22:34 CDT 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 12:19:47PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
>
>> I was not aware that ground wire was very expensive or difficult to
>> ground correctly.  I do not see how that adds very much to the dealer's
>> cost.
>>

> A telco-grade ground on a backboard is customarily 12-ga or larger
> solid copper, with no breaks at all between the backboard and either a
> pre-master-valve water-pipe ground, or a properly instally outdoor
> ground rod.  Or, in some cases, structural steel.
>
> Yes "correctly" can be difficult to manage.
>
> Any of those can, depending on where someone was kind enough to
> mount your backboard, be between 1 and 6 hours of labor to do properly.
>
> I dunno about you, but I charge *extra* for that sort of work.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

I build it in the scope of work and specify it during the initial site
survey.

I try not to spring any surprises on my customers.  If it is a new
punch-out, I will make sure that building maintenance is aware of the
requirements.  They are usually very helpful for these kind of issues.

I usually have a core drill all the way down to the basement and solid
12 awg copper wire pushes through that foam insulation pretty easily (if
they even have it there).

The cost of the wire is not that much, without even shopping around or
going through my regular distributor I found this link.

http://www.wesbellwireandcable.com/Bare_Tinned_Copper.html?gclid=CNLa25jj6Y0CFQ1zHgodBychsQ

1000ft = $169.

Again, it is not that big of a deal if you plan, explain, and do it
correctly.

Thanks,
Steve