[asterisk-users] Major Digium Card Problems

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Thu Aug 9 15:41:09 CDT 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 12:19:47PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
>> I was not aware that ground wire was very expensive or difficult to
>> ground correctly.  I do not see how that adds very much to the dealer's
>> cost.
>
> A telco-grade ground on a backboard is customarily 12-ga or larger
> solid copper, with no breaks at all between the backboard and either a
> pre-master-valve water-pipe ground, or a properly instally outdoor
> ground rod.  Or, in some cases, structural steel.
>
> Yes "correctly" can be difficult to manage.
>
> Any of those can, depending on where someone was kind enough to
> mount your backboard, be between 1 and 6 hours of labor to do properly.
>
> I dunno about you, but I charge *extra* for that sort of work.

There are also lots of crappy grounds out there. Ground is often
neglected, and can be the source of really stubborn sound quality problems.

People don't think much of ground (or how difficult it is to get a clean
ground -- you can have a good ground and still have ground loops,
especially after rainfall), which is why they rarely bother to look for
a ground problem.

-Stephen-