[asterisk-users] Major Digium Card Problems

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Aug 9 10:53:21 CDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 11:44:51PM -0400, Michael J. Liberatore wrote:
>    First problem, the card with 4 FXO ports is fine until there is a
>    storm in the area, then all 4 lines are massively static filled
>    making phone calls barely understandable until the system is
>    rebooted or the zaptel modules are unloaded and reloaded. There is
>    no problem with other phones or the previous phone system on these
>    landlines, so i dont think there is a problem with the lines.

First, find the knob in your mailer that says "send messages as HTML"
and turn it off, please?  HTML is bad for mailing lists.

Secondly, remember: this is a *phone* system now; you're hooking it up
to several kilofeet of antenna.  If you don't have telco-quality
lightning protection and grounding on the box, you can expect this sort
of thing.

You can't find practices handbooks anymore (damnitall), but if you've
ever looked at a professionally installed key system backboard, and
seen those Porta-Systems gas-tubes, and the size of the grounding wire,
then you may get an inkling of a) why you're having problems, and b)
why "traditional" PBX's cost so much to buy and install.

It's not *all* extra markup, folks.

Cheers,
-- jr 'hobby horse' a