[asterisk-users] Free sitting

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Tue Aug 7 05:44:15 CDT 2007

2007/8/7, Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net>:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Olivier wrote:
>
> > Gordon,
> >
> > What you described is exactly Follow-me feature : users are always
> logged
> > and can be reached somewhere.
>
> I've heard of some variants of this feature - that's the beauty (and
> down-side!) of a programmable system - it's open to different people's
> interpretations... (And why I think some of these features shouldn't be
> hard-coded into the system when they are implementable in the dialplan or
> AGI)
>
> > By the way, do you introduce special settings so that ringing tones are
> > different ?
> > Let me explain this :
> >
> > If Alice dials its extension and PIN code using Bob's hardphones, Bob
> and
> > Alice can both be called with the same phone.
> > Is it possible to have different ringing for Alice and Bob's incoming
> calls
> > ?
>
> The simple answer is "I don't know"..
>
> > Maybe an SDP option inside INVITE SIP message would do the trick ?
> > Maybe hardphone settings would read INVITE fields (Contact info ?) to
> > segregate calls ?
>
> A simple way might be to change the caller-id on follow-me calls - change
> the name part into the number and change the number into a special number
> that the phone recognises as a separate ring-tone, but you lose
> information here, and need a phone that can display both name and number
> at the same time, and connect numbers to different ring-tones - then you
> end up going down the route of requiring a certian phone for a certian
> service - which might be acceptable to some people, but defeats the whole
> generic "any SIP phone will do" type ideas.

Could you elaborate ?

I know some hardphone (eg Thomson ST2030) can set ring-tone according
Caller's presence inside phone's directory.

In this case,  Asterisk would have to :
- fake original caller-name and set it to "call for Alice",
- replace original caller-id with Alice extension (eg 4111 instead of +44
812 41 54 66)
so that  hardphone  gets  everything it needs to :
- recognize from caller-id that the calls comes from Alice (though it's a
call FOR Alice)
- and then uses Alice ringing tone instead of Bob's tone.

Is this roughly correct ?

How many phones behaves like this ?
As you said, it would be sad to loose SIP portability.

It would be nice to use SIP protocol to drive such behaviour.

I have experimented with sending text message to phones (for other