[asterisk-users] Free sitting

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Aug 7 05:07:25 CDT 2007

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Olivier wrote:

> Gordon,
>
> What you described is exactly Follow-me feature : users are always logged
> and can be reached somewhere.

I've heard of some variants of this feature - that's the beauty (and
down-side!) of a programmable system - it's open to different people's
interpretations... (And why I think some of these features shouldn't be
hard-coded into the system when they are implementable in the dialplan or
AGI)

> By the way, do you introduce special settings so that ringing tones are
> different ?
> Let me explain this :
>
> If Alice dials its extension and PIN code using Bob's hardphones, Bob and
> Alice can both be called with the same phone.
> Is it possible to have different ringing for Alice and Bob's incoming calls
> ?

The simple answer is "I don't know"..

> Maybe an SDP option inside INVITE SIP message would do the trick ?
> Maybe hardphone settings would read INVITE fields (Contact info ?) to
> segregate calls ?

A simple way might be to change the caller-id on follow-me calls - change
the name part into the number and change the number into a special number
that the phone recognises as a separate ring-tone, but you lose
information here, and need a phone that can display both name and number
at the same time, and connect numbers to different ring-tones - then you
end up going down the route of requiring a certian phone for a certian
service - which might be acceptable to some people, but defeats the whole
generic "any SIP phone will do" type ideas.

I have experimented with sending text message to phones (for other
purposes - eg. the print the speed-dial numbers to the display when they
get set), but again, different phones handle this differently, and some
you need to push a key-sequence to get the message, by which time it might
be too late!

Gordon