[asterisk-users] Teliax Quality of Service

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Mon Aug 6 11:42:22 CDT 2007

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
> Douglas Garstang wrote:
>> Let's assume for a moment that it's impossible. That does not mean adding additional servers and additional networking equipment does not add value, or is a worthless endeavour.
>
> I agree with that.  At least two people that I know run ITSPs.  Each
> time they have an outage (which is not very often) they DO learn from
> the experience and work to avoid a future outage cause by the same issue.
>
> You would be surprised at how many little things can cause an outage.

My own experience is that increasing "failover redundancy", which adds
correspondingly increasing complexity, also increases the odds of an outage.

It is very rare that failover redundancy works as intended during an
actual failover, no matter how many times you simulate it.

I would rather have a simple network design where the cause of failure,
when it happens, is obvious and quickly corrected. For example, I would
rather have replacement parts on the shelf and be able to slap them in
quickly than be running hot standbys and paying for the electricity, and
then have the thing break anyway when there's a failure.

-Stephen-