[asterisk-users] Learn some terminalogy before mountingthistask.

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 11:05:45 CDT 2007

On 8/6/07, James R. Stevens <jstevens at athensdistributing.com> wrote:

>  I'm reading the PDF on the Cisco Expansion module and it says 'When used
> as a DN key buttons are illuminated …'
>

> Is that what we are doing within Asterisk or Trixbox when we configure an
> extension?  (A Directory Number??)

I suspect "DN Key" is just one way of describing a multi-function button
that can both display extension status and serve as a speed dial / transfer
destination.

On the Grandstream I have to configure the expansion car buttons as
"Asterisk BLF" buttons, even though "BLF" (busy lamp field) isn't an
Asterisk setting that I turn on.  To enable BLF functionality in Asterisk, I
have to set up hints in the dialplan and configure the user agent to
subscribe to status notitications for those extensions.

I'd search for asterisk user testimonials to be safe (assuming nobody steps
up and says "I got that working").  Often times you'll find someone's blog
about how they got a feature working with a particular piece of hardware,
along with configuration samples.

--
j.