[asterisk-users] Hardware advice for 100 extensions, routing via ISDN

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Sat Aug 4 06:07:48 CDT 2007

I would be grateful for some comments on our proposed machine specs for
a new Asterisk installation at a client with an initial 70 extensions.
The system should be able to handle 100 extensions. The system will have
the following main features:

    - PSTN connection via ISDN 30, dealing with all incoming calls.
      Outgoing will be through ISDN initially
    - 70-100 Snom 300 handsets
    - 1-2 Snom 370 reception phones
    - voicemail & voicemail to email
    - occasional conferencing requirements

This is a normal office environment (architects) and we do not
anticipate exceptionally heavy call volumes; on the other hand some
conversations will last a very long time.

I've had a look at http://voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+dimensioning

We are presently intending to put in 2 number

    CHASSIS/CASE: 2U 2HotSwap Bay 510W PSU
    MOTHERBOARD: Tyan s5197G2NR
    CPU(s): Core2Due E6600 (2*2.4GHz)
    MEMORY: 4GB 667 ECC (2*2048)
    HDD: 2*150GB Raptor HDD
    CD/DVD: DVD/RW
    OTHER: Sangoma A101PCI Card

    We will be running on 64 bit Debian.

The second machine is to be used in place of the first in case of
failure.

Advice gratefully received.

Rory

--