[asterisk-users] How to use stun server?

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Thu Aug 2 10:32:54 CDT 2007

Honestly, it's really up to the client how it handles information from
STUN.

Ideally, what will happen is that it will modify its Contact headers and
SDP information to include the STUN-discovered IP address and port. In
so doing, when it sends out a request to another server, that server
will then know the proper IP address to use to send data back to the UA.

This is primarily of importance when you are using SER/OpenSER as a SIP
proxy, or have Asterisk set to canreinvite=yes

What happens is that this allows clients to directly talk to each other
using publicly-addressable IP addresses, taking Asterisk out of the
equation except for passing signaling information. It can save
bandwidth. It can ease Asterisk load. Etc, etc.

If you have canreinvite=no set on your Asterisk server, and you're using
Asterisk for your SIP communications, then STUN will still inform the UA
to rewrite its appropriate headers, but you'll see no real difference.
Audio will still be bridged by the Asterisk box. Your bandwidth won't
change. Etc, etc.

It all really depends on what you want to get out of this whole thing
and what your overall network design is.

N.