[asterisk-users] Slightly OT: SNOM & PoE

Tim Koehler digiumlist at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 2 05:35:30 CDT 2007

Hi guys,

one of our German distributors (Allnet) has reasonable PoE switches
(price/features). They also have a distribution Channel in the US (
http://www.allnet-usa.com). They at least work pretty ok in our environment.

I could imagine that the power "isn't very clean". Meaning the voltage
changes, there might be peaks, etc.
This can also come from the power outlet in the wall, and be given through
by the PoE switch to the phones. You could try to run the PoE switch with an
electronical Backup (UPS) which "cleans" the power from the power network.

Hi Andrew,

the GSM lookup is completly new to us, you're the first one reporting this
us.
I just checked myself and let the hardware guys check your comment on the
GSM phone.
We weren't able to reproduce the lock up.
Neither UMTS, nor GSM (1800MHz and 800MHz) had any effect on the phone on my
desk. Please specify this (used phone, location where you're holding the
phone?, etc.).

Regards

Tim

On 8/1/07, Andrew Latham <lathama at lathama.com> wrote:

> I use on a regular basis the D-Link line, they work.  With the SNOM
> you will want to set the ignore Ethernet unplug in case the Ethernet
> switch restarts (like a Netgear 7248 attached to a cheap fiber trans).
> Keep in mind that holding a GSM phone real close to some of the SNOM
> phones will cause them to lock up.
>

> On 8/1/07, Anthony Cennami <acennami at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I apologize for the slightly off-topic question, but I'm sure that the
> > people best acquainted with the issue would be hanging around here.
> >
> > We recently deployed several Linksys POE switches for some smaller
> customers
> > (10-24 station) and appear to be suffering from intermittent lock-ups of
> the
> > SNOM phones attached.
> >
> > Obviously we are running Asterisk for the gateway, but I was curious if
> > anybody has experienced similar issues.  Phones will run fine, and then
> > intermittently (and at different times for different ports) the phones
> will
> > lockup and require a hard reboot.
> >
> > I've read on voip-info that the SNOM phones are apparently sensitive to
> > lower-end network equipment, presumably with PoE only aggravating the
> > problem.
> >
> > Question is, what are people using today to deploy PoE, and more
> > importantly, PoE to SNOM phones?
> >
> > I believe the model we're working with is the SR224P from Linksys, and
> the
> > entire model line of SNOM (3XX)
> >
> > Could anybody recommend some well-used/tested PoE equipment that you've
> > found successful in your SNOM envionment?
> >
> > Looking for density of 24-ports plus, and ideally some lower end and
> higher
> > end equipment, to satisfy the needs of the wide variety of customers we
> do
> > business with?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > anthony