[asterisk-users] Re: Voicemail on Different Server (MySQL Replication split thread)

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Mon Apr 30 21:31:36 MST 2007

JR Richardson wrote:
>> Your experience with database replication is not unique. I have seen
>> this happen with many flavours of database, not just MySQL. At the
>> "critical" sites where I've worked, database replication is not even on
>> the table as an option for precisely the reasons you state above: I have
>> yet to meet someone else who has had a positive experience with it.
>
> I'm using MySQL replication for my realtime database, 1 master with
> 10+ slaves.  I have not had any data corruption or problems since
> implementation 6 mos ago.  To qualify that I must say, I only do
> one-way replication. Master and Slaves are on the same switch fabric,
>> .7msec latency between hosts.  I attended a MySQL HA class,
> Replication was covered in depth and discussed heavily, at no time did
> I receive cautionary information about possible data corruption or bad
> experiences from others in the class or from the instructors.

Having master and slave servers in the same switch fabric is the only
situation in which I would consider replication.

The cases that I described were with machines in separate subnets.
Replication simply doesn't work that well when there is significant
latency. Did they mention that in your HA class?

> I do daily backups of the master database and also regularly check bin
> file status between all servers to ensure no server is falling behind.
>
> I'm not trying to dispute or start a flame war, I'm sure replication
> is not perfect and 100% reliable for every instance.  I'm sure there
> are many stories of failed replication or data corruption when
> replication is not implemented properly or setup in an environment not
> particularly suited well for replication.  Just wanted to add my own
> experience.

Thanks,

-Stephen-