[asterisk-users] 100 users - voip lan security and qos ?

Salvatore Giudice Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com
Mon Apr 30 15:36:35 MST 2007

This is a pretty common setup. Just make sure you have ACL's restricting
traffic between your data and voice vlan's. Generally, we recommend more
than two VLAN's for QoS and security. Usually customers setup the following:

1.) Voice VLAN's for Phones
2.) Data VLAN's for workstations
3.) Voice server VLAN's for IP telephony servers (anything that handles
communications media)
4.) Data server VLAN's for intranet services
5.) converged communications VLAN's - Remote access VLAN's and workstation
endpoints that have soft phones or IPTV clients fall into this category -
802.1p is recommended for these types of VLAN's
6.) wireless VLAN's - These are seldom built for QoS or streaming media, so
they should be segmented and treated differently.

All VLAN's should be properly segmented from each other. Ie. Data VLAN's
should be restricted from accessing voice VLAN's. All network ingress/egress
points should have appropriate SBC's and application layer gateways
installed. The network should always be constructed to preserve voice
services in the event of a network crisis. If you lose the data side of the
network, 95% of large enterprises will always fall back on their telephone
and conferencing systems for crisis management.

Good luck.

Salvatore Giudice
Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com

VoIP Security Training, LLC
http://VoIPSecurityTraining.com

848 N. Rainbow Blvd. #1676
Las Vegas, NV 89107