[asterisk-users] Polycom 430 , 501 and 550

Justin Hamade justhamade at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 17:41:55 MST 2007

The 501 is more "weird" then that.  The cat5 cable with the built in power
injector is cool but to use it with a PoE (802.3af) switch you need a
"special" cable (the pairs are just different you can probably look it up
and make your own).

I believe the polycoms have MGCP and SIP support, no H323.  Stick with SIP
in my opinion.

Justin

On 4/29/07, David W. Rice <rice at lexingtonitconsulting.com> wrote:

> I could be wrong, but I believe that the newer Polycom's only support
> SIP.  The 550 is PoE, but you don't have to power it with PoE.  I have a
> 430 that uses an A/C adapter and regular Ethernet.  I have a 501 that
> comes with a proprietary Ethernet cable that has an adapter built into
> the cable to plug the A/C adapter into.  So, it's some kind of PoE, but
> I'm not sure what.  I believe that any model of Polycom phone can be
> used with a regular Ethernet cable.
>
> The 501 is the only "weird" one with it's special cable.

Justin