[asterisk-users] Unable to find a codec translation path from ilbcto ulaw

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Sat Apr 28 07:46:52 MST 2007

> Hi!
>
> As the upstream of my DSL-connection is very slow, I'd like my
> sip-phones to use iLBC to connect to my *. My gateway provider only
> allows ulaw. Hence, I'd like to use the follwing setup:
>
> SIP-phone <--iLBC--> Asterisk <---ulaw----> PSTN-Gateway
>
> I get the following error:
>
> "Unable to find a codec translation path from ilbc to ulaw"

First, do a 'show translation' in the asterisk console to confirm that
asterisk is definitely not supporting the translation. If it doesn't
support it, you'll see a '-' instead of a number in the column and row
for ilbc.

Debian's, and possibly other distributions binaries, seems to only
support ilbc in passthrough mode because of 'non-free' issues with the
codec. I assume there is a patent or something attached to it.

I believe you can build your own Asterisk to get around the issue, and
in fact I asked the same question a while back and I seem to remember
(but I'm not sure) that someone pointed me to a pre-compiled version in
someone else's Debian repository that included the ilbc transcoding
stuff.

hth

James