[asterisk-users] How to check my voice mail from outside landline?

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:22:20 MST 2007

Hi Chandra -

> I installed and configured Asterisk. I am getting my voice mail to my email
> as attachments. Well. We can check our voice mail by dialing *98. But, I
> want to check my voice mails by dialing our DID number from a outside
> telephone.
>
> How can I do this? Please help me.

You'll need to configure your dialplan to do this.  What you are
asking is easy to do, but dialplan themselves can be very complex.  I
really suggest you read as much as possible in the asterisk section of
the VOIP WIKI:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk

You will also want to read the sample configuration file of extensions.conf

Now, to answer your question, you'll need to configure an extension.
One possible way to do this - in extensions.conf:

exten => XXXXXXXXXX,1,VoicemailMain()
   (where XXXXXXXXXX is your DID number)

- Noah