[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Debian Etch

Diego Iastrubni diego.iastrubni at xorcom.com
Wed Apr 25 00:31:25 MST 2007

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 16:24, Stephen Bosch wrote:
> Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but I haven't had a problem with
> reproducing a source install.
How about time?

2 minutes download+install, vs 10-20 minutes compilation. Then, how do you
uninstall? How do you know which version do you have?

> Can you tell I'm a Gentoo user? :P
>
> I've got nothing against packages in principle, and my system has plenty
> of packages from the distribution, but I've yet to see a project as
> dynamic as Asterisk. What package maintainer could possibly keep up?
And even gentoo uses packages. Sorry, but "make install" is something for
developers - not users.

The good thing about package managers, is that they tell you which package has
been modified (a user changes a file, someone breaks into your machine and
modifies a binary). In rpm it's done via "rpm -qVa" and in debian it's done
by the command "debsums". I am not sure about gentoo.

On a developers users - I would say install from source. On a *users* list :
install always from your distribution packages. When was the last time you
installed X from sources? KDE? Mozilla? OpenOffice? Why is asterisk
different?